Bewdley Permanent Way Department (P-Way)
Based in the P-way hut at the south end of the station, activities include line walks to inspect the track, lineside maintenance and other repair work.
Railway engineering personnel carriers were a common sight on Britain's railways in the 1950's and 60's and examples were built by Wickham of Ware up to about 1991. On the Severn Valley Railway, two standard gauge vehicles are operational; an enclosed type used by the Permanent Way department at Bewdley which sees regular use and an open type motorised trolley restored at Highley for occasional use. Both are seen demonstrated at the "Railcar Reunion" event in October 2010 with 4-wheeled engineering wagons. A non-passenger working, all guests travelling with the Permanent Way gang were signed-on members of SVR staff and our thanks to the Bewdley P-way team for allowing us this kind privilege. The journey shown below is from Highley yard to a siding at Arley station.
This video shows the return trip from the open sided Wickham trolley restored and based at Highley.